The law protects the relationship between a client and a psychotherapist, and information cannot be disclosed without written permission.
- Suspected child abuse, or dependent adult or elder abuse, for which the counselor is required by law to report this to the appropriate authorities immediately.
- If a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, counselor must notify the police and inform the intended victim.
- If a client intends to harm himself or herself, counselor will make every effort to enlist their cooperation in ensuring their safety. If they do not cooperate, counselor will take further measures without their permission that are provided to the counselor by law in order to ensure their safety.
- Disclosure due to court order or subpoena. Prior to disclosure the client will be notified and the specifics of the order will be discussed.
- Counselor will make every effort to contact the client prior to reporting, if at all possible.